Friday, October 3, 2008

A Stressful Day....that turned out OK

Early this morning at 3am, we received a call from the hospital. Chase's heart rate was up to 180 - 190 (it's usually around 130). They said they needed to put in a central line to administer some medications to control his heart rate. Additionally, his potassium was elevated and his renal labs were high. Of course this set off all kinds of worrying!! On top of this, Eli had a 101 - 104 fever and was absolutely refusing medicine. I decided to take Eli to the dr to have him checked before the weekend. After a morning of not eating, laying on the couch and a fever, we got to the dr and Eli had no fever and was acting totally fine. I was glad, but a little embarrassed that I rushed him to the dr. When Eli and I got in our car to leave the dr, the car battery was dead! Yes....another thing to add stress to my day! Thankfully we have the Allstate roadside assistance and they came and started my car (although they took over an hour to get there).

After all this, I finally made it to the hospital to check on Chase at about 3:30pm. He seemed to be doing well. I spoke to the nurse and asked about the central line and she said that he did not have one. They were just giving some meds through IV. They took more labs and his potassium was normal and his renal labs were significantly lower than before. We were very concerned about the kidneys, but once we spoke to Chase's surgeon we discovered that there is not a reason to be concerned. They have been giving Chase diuretics and apparently they "overshot" on one of them. They backed off and everything is normal. We are so relieved!! We heard so many different stories about what could be going on from different people....apparently the surgeon is the one with the answers!!!

Tonight when I was holding Chase, he turned his head to me and opened his mouth like he wanted to nurse. : ) That made me so happy! I wish I could try to nurse him, but I know that day will come. He is still on portagen rather than breast milk, but hopefully soon he will be back on breast milk.

OH.....we found out today that Chase does not have a spleen. We really were not expecting one so this is not huge news. They are starting him on a general antibiotic that he will take orally every day for many years to come.

That's all for now. I pray we have a good, healthy, no car issue weekend! Love to all!

5 comments:

Becky, Phil and Hayden said...

I'm so sorry about the struggles you've been going through! I'm glad things turned out ok with Chase. We are praying for you guys and hope you have a wonderful weekend! We'll be in your area house hunting this morning and will be thinking of you!

The Williams Brothers said...

What a day! I cannot imagine. I'm thrilled that you can hold him now.

hannah said...

that DOES sound like a stressful day!! i'm so glad that the cause of chase's elevated heart rate, etc. was easily determined and corrected, and that he didn't have to have a central line. MY heart rate went up, from happiness and excitement for you,
when i saw the pictures of you holding him!! YAY!!!

waldorfmama said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your stressful day, laura. but so happy things turned out okay. :) there will no doubt be many valleys and hills in this journey. i am visualizing the day you get to nurse him!

Michelle said...

Sorry you were having such a rough time! I hope you had a better weekend. I am glad Chase continues to do well and that it was a false alarm last week. I am thrilled you were able to hold him and I look forward to the day you get to bring your sweet boy home. Praying for you and your family,
Michelle.