Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Amazing Journey

An amazing journey has slowly come to an end.

Breastfeeding has been an amazing journey for us.

It was difficult in the beginning, but I really wanted to make it work. I had great support from Hunter, my sister, my Mom and MANY other moms that I met through La Leche League. After a Eli was a few months old, we got into a rhythm and breastfeeding was wonderful. So many benefits....health, emotional, etc.

When Eli was born, I thought I'd breastfeed for 12 months. I thought anything beyond 12 months was a little weird, and past 18 months was A LOT weird!! My sister was nursing her 18 month old and I thought she was crazy...after all, her daughter could talk and tell her when she wanted to nurse! As Eli got closer to 12 months, I started realizing that extended nursing wasn't so weird after all, in fact there are SO many benefits to nursing a toddler. Again with the support of La Leche League toddler group, we continued to nurse and I think it was one of the best "mom" decisions I've ever made. I think it's the greatest gift I could have ever given him.

Today, after 26 months of breastfeeding, Eli has officially weaned himself. I let him lead the weaning process so it wasn't hard on him. Now, the only nursing that happens is when Eli is playing with his teddy bear (or any other toy) and he decides that the toy needs a "side" (that's what he calls nursing). He holds the toy to HIS "sides" and nurses the toy. What a great joy that is for me!!! He gets it! I hope someday (a VERY long time from now) he is a BIG supporter of his breastfeeding wife! : )

Closing with a note I found on kellymom.com regarding breastfeeding & weaning....

I know I look so big to you,
Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.
But no matter how big we get,
We still have needs that are important to us.
I know that our relationship is growing and changing,
But I still need you. I need your warmth and closeness,
Especially at the end of the day
When we snuggle up in bed.
Please don't get too busy for us to nurse.
I know you think I can be patient,
Or find something to take the place of a nursing; A book, a glass of something,
But nothing can take your place when I need you.
Sometimes just cuddling with you,
Having you near me is enough.
I guess I am growing and becoming independent,
But please be there.
This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,
Please don't break it abruptly.
Wean me gently,
Because I am your mother,
And my heart is tender.

No comments: