Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter

Easter was a pretty different than we planned this year.  At about 1:00am on Easter, Hunter woke me up because he wanted me to check on Chase.  I went to check him and he was breathing super fast (panting like a dog), his heart rate was super fast and he had a 103 fever.  I picked him up out of bed and he awoke slightly.  He was coughing funny and he said that he couldn't breathe.  I was pretty sure that the rapid breathing was due to the fever, but he did not seem right at all.  Also, Chase rarely runs a fever.  I honestly can't remember another time that he actually had a fever.  That sounds strange given his medical history, but it's true.  So, given the circumstances, we decided he needed to go to the ER.  Hunter is always "night shift" for ER/hospital visits so he took Chase to Children's Plano.  I was planning to go back to sleep....yea, right. : )  I was so worried and just cried in bed with Reed and Eli next to me.  Hunter was texting me as things were happening and I finally got a text that Chase had a super bad ear infection...one of the worst the dr had ever seen.  : |  I also don't remember Chase ever having an ear infection.  Then I received a text that said they would be a while because they wanted to treat him with IV antibiotics and they were doing a chest x-ray just to be safe.  I was so relieved and was finally able to go to sleep knowing that it was just an ear infection.  Also, Chase had a chest x-ray 3 days prior and it was clear according to 3 doctors.  Then, at about 5:30 Hunter called and said the dreaded words...."They are admitting him"  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!  We had been 13 months without a hospital stay and we were getting used to it!  ; )  So.....all that to say that our Easter wasn't as we had planned.  Chase was in the hospital with an ear infection and pneumonia.  We didn't go to church.  Fortunately, I cooked our Easter dinner on Saturday.  We ate it on Easter, but it wasn't eaten together as a family...it was make a plate and throw it in the microwave to heat it up.  Dad saved the day....AGAIN!  He stayed with Eli and Reed as Hunter and I took shifts at the hospital for a couple of days.  Thankfully, it was not a long stay and Chase has bounced back.  He's good as new now!  ; )

 Reed looking at his Easter surprise....Bubbles are Reed's favorite!!!

 Eli checking out his Easter surprise....Dolphin Tale! (also got some sidewalk chalk, bubble gum, and M&M's)

And Chase's lonely Easter surprise....it was really sad that Chase was not there.  For some reason it was really hard on me this time.  : (  The child life department at Children's Plano took super good care of Chase....they loaded him down with Easter goodies and we took him is basket that evening.

So, no cute pictures of the kids in their Easter outfits before church.  But I have three healthy kids at home now and that's what is most important!  

No comments: