Friday, March 6, 2009

Chase Update

Chase is still in the hospital, but continues to do very well. The doctors finally let him eat today. He has not had anything to eat since Monday! He started Pedialyte at noon today and did not have any issues. At midnight tonight, he gets to start on milk. If he tolerates the milk well, he should be able to come home tomorrow (Saturday)....Sunday at the latest.

On another note, Chase was taken off ALL his heart medications, including aspirin! His cardiologist said that he no longer needs them. WOW! I am shocked by this!!! Now he will only be on Previcid (for reflux) and Amoxicilian (b/c of his asplenia). I can't believe that I'm not going to have to prepare 6 medications in the morning and 5 medications at night! What a blessing!!!

ALSO, this may sound a little crazy, but Hunter and I were under the impression that Chase would require another heart surgery sometime around his second birthday. During the hospital stay, we spoke with Chase's surgeon and he stated that Chase's heart is considered fully repaired...no additional scheduled surgeries. His surgeon was able to repair all three defects during the surgery on September 12. I was shocked by this as well. I know it seems like I should have known this, but honestly, when the surgeon was talking to us after surgery, I don't remember much of what he said. I had just given birth 24 hours before and I was just focused on keeping Chase alive and taking him home. Since then, I've been focused on keeping him healthy and gaining weight. I've just recently had a chance to sit back and ask questions about his condition going forward.

I am so thankful to God for Chase, his doctors and all his caregivers. Chase is such a blessing and a miracle! It is absolutely miraculous that Chase has done so well given the extent of his heart disease and the statistics that we were given upon his diagnosis. We feel so blessed to have him with us!!! : )

1 comment:

Becky, Phil and Hayden said...

That is so amazing! God is so good!!! Praise Him!